Friday, February 16, 2007

Chicken Legs

I made it to the gym this morning. Yesterday I did a mile in 7 minutes, slowed down for a rest and my left lower leg started aching. After the 2nd mile I decided to switch to the treadmill because the pain was getting too bad, even after a good stretch. The treadmill did not improve. Who knew that a treadmill is harder on your legs than an elliptical machine?

OK...you can stop laughing now. I didn't know.

Anyway, I was telling Tina about the pain today while she was...KICKING MY ASS with these horrible lifting things called 21's. Heard of them? Yeah they suck! My arms are now like Jell-O. Anyway, I showed her where the pain was and that it still hurt, and she said they were shin splints.

I didn't know that you could get them down the outer side of your leg. I just thought they would be, you know, on top of the shin?

Ok...you experienced exercisers can really stop laughing at me now.

When I got home I looked up shin splints. I wanted to know what caused them. Here's what I found:

"A primary culprit causing shin splints is a sudden increase in distance or intensity of a workout schedule."

Ohhhhhhhh. I guess going from nothing to working out 4-5 times a week is probably what caused that. That and trying to run as fast as Tina who runs everyday and has for forever might have had a little of an impact as well.

Now I would like to say that I'm sad that I'm going to have to switch to the stationary bike for a while until I heal. But I'm not. And I'm also not going to tell you that I'm not doing cardio again until Monday because I have the perfect excuse now to be a slacker. Oooooops, I just did.

So what does Chicken Legs have to do with all of this? Well my Mother has chicken legs. And she passed them on to me. On top of that I tend to go a glowing-blinding shade of white in the winter, which makes my chicken legs even more obvious. When I was younger I used to get teased incessantly for these chicken legs. But apparently if I gain an extra 30 pounds, my chicken legs turn into hot "normal" looking legs that are just a little white, a fact that makes me very excited.

But yesterday as I stumbled off of the elliptical machine over to the treadmill I caught a look at my legs in the mirror. The chicken legs are back!

Crap!

Perhaps this complete lack of muscle has something to do with the shin splints as well.

Yeah, probably.

1 comment:

Debra said...

Ok, I found you from Sarah's post..

And what the heck are 21s?? I do not know. (yeah, well my trainer just threw "super sets" at me last week. That's enough for the moment!)