Thursday, May 10, 2007

A lesson for Starving Kelly

So a couple of friends of mine decided to try the hoodia pills, and before I researched taking hoodia, I agreed to split a bottle with them for a try. My understanding was that it was supposed to be used to affect your metabolism. And hey, I obviously am having some troubles there! So I got the bottle of pills and read..."appetite supressant."

OK...I don't overeat because I'm too hungry. I usually overeat because I'm bored. So here lies problem one. Anyway this caused me to stop and think a little, "What else don't I know about what I'm sticking into my body?"

So I did a lot a research. And guess what I found? Apparently a lot of hoodia pills don't actually contain the appropriate amount of hoodia necessary to produce any type of change. In fact one article I read only recommends 3 manufacturers of the hoodia pills period. That was quite a shock!

Thirdly the hoodia plant apparently is on the endangered species list, and manufacturers have to obtain a CITES certificates -- Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora. Many are not doing this. And does my selfish need to find an easy fix justify my helping extinguish a speciest of plant? I don't know. I think I need to think some more about this.

So what is the moral of my story? Remember Kelly, remember Kelly, remember Kelly...do not succumb to the easy.

There is no easy!

Damn.


2 comments:

Butrfly4404 said...

'Tis true, dear Kelly. There is no easy.

It's also not fair. Example: It only took me five minutes (because I ssttrreettcchh it out) to eat that Nut Roll, but it would take 25 on the elliptical to burn it off!

I used to take all kinds of that crap. Appetite suppresants were cheaper than eating and I was poor (it wasn't even to lose weight!) and also those "energy" and "metabolism boosting" pills - that gave people heart attacks. Of course, I didn't care then (or I would have laid off on the other drugs), but I have so many heart problems in my family, it was just absolutely stupid to take them.

I know how much it sucks to not lose weight when you are working so hard, but just keep in mind how much healthier you are on the INSIDE and don't let anything mess that up for you!

(And...NO IDEA that was an 'endangered' plant!)

St. Amy Jane said...

i applaud you... i need to get back on my workout... i'm starting tomorrow morning... so be thinking of me when I am walking on my tredmil like a retarded hamster... ;)